Atiku vs Buhari: Two million women storm Abuja, beg Atiku to concede defeat
Women under the auspices of the ‘Two Million Women Rally for Democracy’ has urged Atiku Abubakar to toe the path of former President Jonathan and congratulate President Buhari on winning the election.
The appeal was made during a rally held on Friday in Abuja. Mary Onuche, Convener of the group, noted that although the PDP candidate is within his constitutional right to seek redress, such disruptive and frightful atmosphere could lead to anarchy.
She said: “Fortunately for Nigeria, our democracy, though still young, has continued to evolve in ways that reassure us that things can only get better.
One such leap is the development in 2015 when the then President Jonathan called to congratulate the then winner of the presidential election, incumbent President Buhari, even before the votes’ tally was completed. .
That singular act of patriotism is today hailed as the benchmark of the level of statesmanship befitting of candidates in our elections. May God bless Mr Jonathan, the hero of our modern democracy.
We therefore call on Alhaji Atiku Abubakar to emulate the statesmanship of Mr Jonathan and quit his ongoing disruptive stance on the election.”
Read Also 👇👇👇:
The University of Leuven is inviting applications for a fully-funded four-year PhD fellowship in descriptive and contrastive linguistics (English-French), starting in October or November 2018 at the Department of Linguistics.
The aim of this doctoral project is to compare clefts and their mono-clausal counterparts (so-called “reduced clefts”) in English and French.
The KU Leuven is a research and educational institution with international appeal. All courses at this university are based on the innovative research of its scientists and professors.
- Applications Deadline: July 1, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowship is available to pursue PhD programme.
- Study Subject: Fellowship is awarded in descriptive and contrastive linguistics (English-French), starting in October or November 2018 at the Department of Linguistics at the University of Leuven.
- Scholarship Award: The doctoral fellow will receive a salary of approximately 2000 EUR/month (after taxes) for a period of four years and all regular provisions for PhD students at the University of Leuven. In addition, s/he will be allocated office space and a laptop, and receive funding for research activities such as attending conferences abroad and organising conferences and workshops in Leuven or elsewhere.
- Nationality: International students are eligible to apply for this position.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken in Belgium
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply for this position.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants are expected to have the following qualifications and attitudes:
- An MA in linguistics (or related disciplines) with academic distinction;
- Expertise and (near-) native competence in English and French;
- Willingness to undertake an instrumental study of prosody;
- A good background in the areas of linguistics relevant to the topic;
- Strong analytical skills and the motivation to pursue descriptively innovative work in linguistics;
- A cooperative attitude and the capacity to actively participate in project activities (e.g. data sessions) and in events of the research units involved in the project (including their seminar series);
- The ability to present research results at international conferences and to publish in peer-reviewed journals.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
How to Apply: You can apply for this job no later than July 01, 2018 via the online application tool. Motivated candidates meeting these criteria are invited to apply online. Please include a cover letter, a CV, the names of up to three referees, and a sample piece of academic writing.