How And Why Fela Anikulapo Kuti Married His 27 Wives On The Same Day (With Marriage Photos)
In the year 1978, the pioneer of Afrobeats, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, married 27 women on the same day. This should not in any way be strange to those who know the life and style of the Nigerian music legend nicknamed Abami Eda (strange creature).
After the devastating attack on Fela’s commune, Kalakuta Republic, in 1977, many of his band members became homeless and Fela then decided to do the unusual by putting out a piece of paper to his female band members requesting for the names of those that would like to marry him, and the entire twenty-seven female band members put down their names.
And so, on the 20th of February, 1978, Fela Kuti married 27 of his backup singers and dancers at the Parisona Hotel in Anthony, Lagos, with the blessings of twelve Ifa priests. It was alleged that some parents of the ladies objected the marriage which took place nevertheless since it wasn’t against the ladies’ wishes.
Why did Fela Kuti marry 27 wives?
OldNaija gathered that Fela married the women to protect them and debunk the rumor that he was kidnapping them. The marriage ceremony was attended by Fela’s families, friends and band members.
During the marriage ceremony, Fela rendered a short speech, pressed naira notes on his new wives’ foreheads and gave them marriage certificates. Fela employed a rotation system of 12 wives at a time. After the marriage, Fela took his wives to Ghanafor honeymoon.
However, in 1986, shortly after his release from prison, Fela Kuti divorced his 27 wiveson the claim that marriage brings jealousy. It should be noted that they were not forced to leave even though he had divorced them; some lived with him until his death in 1997.
Here are the names of the 27 women Fela married in a day: Fehintola Kayode (Seun’s Mum), Damiregba (Naijite, Motun’s Mum), Keuwe Oghomienor (Kewe), Folake Oladeinde (Alake), Folake Oladejo, Ronke Edason, Laide, Emaruagheru Osawe, Ihase, Shade Shodeinde, Suru Eriomola, Tejumade Adebiyi, Omolola Osaeti, Tokunbo Akran, Ronke (another one), Adejonwo, Lamiley, Funmilayo, Adunni, Remilekun, Kikelomo, Lara, Bose
With the aiming of promoting Creative educational enrichment, the University of New South Wales is awarding the Faculty of Law Juris Doctor Award for International Students in Australia.
The program is open for the high performing students to undertake the Juris Doctor Program at UNSW for the academic year 2019-2020.Advertisements
- Application Process
- Clarity of Information
Great offer for international students to get a Juris Doctor Program with financial support in Australia.
0 (0 votes)
The University of New South Wales is a top-tier university in Australia as a member of the Australian ‘Group of Eight’. It offers bachelor, master and doctoral degrees. It has strong regional and global engagement and 2nd in New South Wales according to the 2018 QS World University Rankings.
Why at the University of New South Wales? While studying at this university, candidates can the opportunity to grow and expand their abilities through comprehensive. Students can get the best experience along with the skills to succeed in their future career.
Application Deadline: July 31, 2019
- University or Organization: University of New South Wales
- Department: NA
- Course Level: PhD degree
- Award: $10,000
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: One award is open
- Nationality: International students
- The award can be taken in Australia
- Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: Juris Doctor Program
- Admissible Criteria: The applicant must be commencing or currently enrolled in the UNSW Juris Doctor program for the academic year 2019-2020.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: To be considered for this grant, aspirants are prerequisite to be enrolled in the PhD degree coursework at the university. After being accepted, claimants can apply for the bursary.
- Supporting Documents: You may be asked for a personal statement, letter of motivation, letter of recommendation and a CV.
- Admission Requirements: If you are going to enrol in the PhD degree program, then you must have to meet the entry requirements of the university.
- Language Requirement: Seekers are required to provide evidence of English proficiency to study at UNSW depending on their educational background and citizenship.
Benefits: The studentship will be awarded worth up to $10,000.