How Prophet Daniel Abodunrin Was Torn Apart By Lions at U.I. Zoo In 1991
Ibadan, the capital of Oyo state, is the largest city in Nigeria and the third in Africa after Cairo and Johannesburg. The city which lies in the south-western part of Nigeria is known for its rich and fascinating cultures, lifestyle, history and spellbinding tourist destinations. One of the most visited tourist destinations in Ibadan is the University of Ibadan zoological garden which proudly houses different animals ranging from lions to rabbits. It is a popular custom of many families living in Ibadan to visit the zoo during festive periods to hang out and have fun as well. So, on a fateful (later bloody) day in the Easter season of the year 1991, visitors stormed the U.I zoo as usual to enjoy the serene environment of the enclosure and have fun seeing different animals they have only seen on screens. Of all the animals in the zoo, the lions attract the highest number of visitors. It can even be concluded that a visit to U.I zoo without seeing the lions is not complete.
As aforementioned, on that day, everybody was at the zoo to have a nice time seeing the animals and taking pictures, except a man, a bold and daring prophet by the name Daniel Abodurin who wanted to show people the ‘work of God of Daniel‘ by walking into the lions’ cage to touch them like Daniel did in the bible without getting mauled. Prophet Abodurin’s intention was to recreate the biblical story of a young man named Daniel who out of envy was thrown to some lions that turned out to have been mysteriously tamed. The biblical story has it that God sent down some angels to shut the mouths of the lions.
The determined Prophet Daniel Abodurin walked up to some staffs of the zoo and pleaded to gain entry into the lions’ cage. No one in his or her right senses will give ears to this kind of plea, so the prophet was turned down. But after much disturbance and persuasion, the prophet’s insane wish was granted. Another account has it that Prophet Abodurin sneaked into the lions’ cage. Sneaking or no sneaking, he eventually found his way into the cage. Many people present at the scene could not believe what their eyes were seeing, and realizing it was not a dream, they prepared their mind for the worst result. Prophet Daniel Abodurin was clothed in a red robe and under his armpit was a big bible. As he entered the cage, he began reciting bible verses and speaking in tongues and calling unto the ‘God of Daniel’ to perform wonders. OldNaija.com gathered that he was shouting jah, jah, jah which was believed to be a shortened form of Jehovah. At first, the lions retreated to a corner of their cage. Unknown to the to-be African version of Daniel, retreating is the first thing lions do when they see something unusual in their territory and later they get rid of it. Prophet Abodurin thought his faith was really working. He moved nearer to the lions and kept chanting bible verses, then in a flash, the lions pounced on the bemused, confused and horrified prophet. A cold stream of shock ran down the spines of the terrified onlookers. Prophet Daniel Abodurin battled for his dear life but his strength was no match for that of the hefty lions, and in a moment, he was torn into pieces and devoured. His bloody red robe laid in shreds and his bible which he had flung away at the beginning of the attack was covered in dust. Stampede ensued in the zoo as people took to their heels after seeing such a horrible sight they will never forget in their lives. The prophet’s remains were collected and later buried. That was how Prophet Daniel Abodurin met his bitter and horrible end.
Many people condemned the prophet for such a bizarre act while others believed the lions were possessed by demons stronger than the prophet and demanded that they should be killed.
Thank you for reading. What do you think?
What does it mean to be a researcher? In my eyes, a person who creates and systematic work undertook to increase the stock of knowledge. If you want to be that person, then join the Research Stipend Scholarships program in Australia.
- Application Process
- Clarity of Information
Excellent opportunity to get a higher education with financial support from RMIT University in Australia.
4.5 (2 votes)
RMIT University was established as a college in 1887 and founded as a university in 1992. It is an Australian public research university which ranked 16th in the world.
Why at RMIT University? RMIT University has a pretty good reputation for its teaching and supportive nature towards the students. It also has a great space for research and innovation.
- University or Organization: RMIT University
- Department: NA
- Course Level: Research
- Award: $31,000 per annum
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: 2
- Nationality: International
- The program can be taken in Australia
- Application Deadline: September 30, 2019
- Language: English
- Eligible Countries: Australian, New Zealand citizens and international students are eligible.
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: They can participate in a PhD or a Master by Research degree program at the university.
- Admissible Criteria: Interested candidates are suggested to see the eligibility criteria-
- The participants may be considered by RMIT as having an equivalent level of academic attainment, taking into account previous study, relevant work experience, research publications, and other research experience
- Are able to take receipt of a funding for a minimum 12 months duration on a full-time basis (or part-time equivalent) because of prior enrolment in a graduate research program
- Have not already completed a graduate research program at the same or higher course level. For example, Masters by Research applicants should not have already completed a Masters by Research or PhD
- An aspirant must not previously have held an RMIT or Commonwealth-funded postgraduate research scholarship unless it was terminated within six months of the program’s payments commencing
How to Apply
- Taking the time to prepare a application is worth your while. Hence, you are advised to take admission in a PhD or Masters by Research degree program at the university. If you are provided with an offer of admission and/or scholarship, the offer letter will indicate how to accept your offer.
- Depending on your circumstances, you will need to provide different types of evidence such as transcripts or certificates, language proficiency and etc.
- For being eligible to study at RMIT, you need to satisfy the English language requirements of the university.
- RSS opportunities are funded by the Australian Government and RRSS opportunities are funded by RMIT University which provides a stipend of $31,000 per annum pro rata (full-time study). This amount is subject to indexation annually.
- Apart from that, International candidates in receipt of this application are also awarded an RTP International Tuition Fee Offset Scholarship (RIFOS) or an RMIT Research International Tuition Fee Scholarship (RRITFS). And all local candidates, Australian, and New Zealand citizens or permanent residents of Australia are provided with an RTP Fee Offset scholarship.
- Applicants in receipt of an RTP Fee Offset scholarship are not required to pay tuition fees for the maximum duration of their candidature.
- A relocation allowance for the cost of relocating in order to take up their postgraduate research program, up to $515 per adult and $255 per child to a maximum of $1,540 will also be provided.